WPC provides copper plating services for functional engineering and industrial applications specializing in electrical relay component and contact industries. WPC utilizes copper plating as a final stand-alone product or as an undercoat for other plated metals.
Copper plating can assist with adhesion on a difficult base metal and in some cases can provide beneficial fusion of metals if combined with a top coat of nickel then gold in a welding, bonding, or brazing application.
Copper plating is used as a low cost treatment for electrical and thermal conductivity, solderable surface, bonding, wear resistance, and lubricity. Plated copper finish mirrors the surface finish and appears semi-bright to bright.
WPC copper plating provides a finished product that is stain and water-spot free. We know that a tarnished copper component is unacceptable for a high voltage relay or connector and we are able to help mitigate tarnish with a post-plate tarnish inhibitor.
When considering copper plating for your product, please determine and convey:
- Classification for ASTM B734-97
- Type and nature of the substrate base metal (i.e., high strength steel will tell us that it is susceptible to hydrogen embrittlement and may require post-plate baking)
- Plating thickness range and possibly where is the most important surface location of desired thickness
- Significant surfaces
- Required undercoats or strike layers
- Any specific testing required to the plated deposit
- Please convey if the part must be rack or barrel plated if you have already determined this
- If reduced contact resistance or improved lubricity are desired, Silver Plating may be a better option
Specifications for Copper Plating:
- AMS 2418
- ASTM B734-97